Thursday, March 7, 2013

Preoccupied...for the moment

First thing this morning (and barely awake) I drove the 75 miles to meet with a social worker.  I wanted to plead my son's case.  Because the first test they gave him was inconclusive, I still had a chance to work some "mama magic" and hopefully defer any other diagnosis.  My gut tells me that this brilliant child of mine just needs time to work this all out in his head.  He has had to deal with too much stress in the past year.  And, recently saw his entire reality crack when he realized that his Dad was not who he thought he was.  He had held his father up on a pedestal that was completely unreal. And it is easy to be king of a child's world when you only see them for a weekend here and there.  Especially your own child, your son, who WANTS to see the best and can be easily manipulated to look the other way.  When his Dad began visiting him here, at our home, with me as a buffer, he began to see the way things really were and he couldnt deal with the reality.  I know that eventually he can work all of this out but I worry that putting him in a marathon when he is barely standing on his own will break him.
I pled my case and then spent a half hour with Seth.  He wants to put in his written notice that he is requesting a hearing and I asked him to give it a few more days.  He earned full privileges today and can walk around the campus, go to the gym and eat in the dining hall.  This bit of freedom should help him, especially when he needs time to himself.  But after speaking to him, I knew that there was so much more bothering him.
He told me a story about a little girl today.  She had a melt down on the unit and began to cry, to beg the nurses to let her leave. Seth told me that she kept sobbing and saying "I promise to be good, please let me go home. I promise if you let me go home I'll never be bad again. Please, please let me go home to my mommy. I swear, I promise, I won't be bad."  I could see her, in my mind's eye and my heart broke for this child.  Another little boy was running from the nurses and they tried to catch him.  He ran by Seth shrieking down the hall and they eventually caught him. "I think they tazed him" Seth said to me.
"I am sure they probably gave him a shot and that calmed him down quickly" I responded. And I hope that is true but my mother told me that they CAN use tasers if they have to.  On children? I really hope that is not the case.
I asked Seth if he was able to help any of the other children but he said no, he cannot relate to them at all. The social worker told me he hangs back, sits on the couch or in a chair in the corner.  He is not trying to relate to the other kids. I don't think he knows how.  He said it is utter chaos and he sits and tries to handle himself as best he can.  To bear it, he said.  He is just trying to get through it.

So, tonight, I tried to beg off the "move and groove" night at the elementary school.  I felt so drained, so completely exhausted and quite simply just ill after my visit today.  But my eight year old wanted to go so badly and her friends were going to be there.  I can't neglect the other kids and make this any worse for them and as it is, my patience is not functioning the way it normally does.  I am abrupt and distant and trying to be strong for all of us. I'm really not tolerating frustration.  So, we got dressed and grabbed a slice of pizza and I immersed myself in line dancing with Sage and Bella, and their friends. Sage requires a great deal of hands on help to stay focused and I helped her with the games, which involved many steps. Ian had to come to the school an hour early for the rehearsal for the school play, in which he has a lead. Looking at the clock, I knew I had to race outside and wait for Seth to call.  Riley also wanted to speak to Seth.  We hustled to the auditorium so that I could arrange a ride home for Ian and then ran to the car where Riley tried to reach Seth on the cell phone.

When I returned home, there was a text from someone who was at Move and Groove night at the school.  Apparently, she had been talking to one of the girls and I abruptly took my daughters hand and left.  I felt terrible. I did not notice that they were interacting...and I wouldn't be rude to anyone in that way. It is never "me" to be impolite to people.  The last year has been hard and not everyone has understood some of my choices.  Not everyone understands that I am forgetful because of the Subclavian Steal Syndrome, or that the reason my ex husband stays here a night or two a month is because it's the best way for me to supervise his time with Seth.  I feel judged on all sides...and now I am appearing rude to people I would never be rude to.  Aside from this blog, which I hope will reach other parents going through this with their own child, I'm not broadcasting how difficult this entire situation has been for us.  Tonight, I was so preoccupied with thoughts of what was happening seventy five miles away on a locked unit that I may as well have been alone in that room full of a hundred children and their parents.  My heart was elsewhere.  I was seeing children crying, begging for their mothers.  I was seeing little boys race down long hallways only to be restrained when they finally hit a dead end.  And I was seeing Seth, in my mind's eye trying to stay solid, stoic, and sane in the most difficult situation he has ever faced.

I was so happy that I could relax, even for a few moments this evening, and watch my daughters prance around, with balloons stuffed in my bedtime boxers. Wiggling their big butts. Laughing. Being silly.  We watched American Idol and tried for just a bit to be a normal family. My father sent me a text telling me he loved me and reminding me that God is with me, every step of the way.  Carrying me when I cannot walk.  THIS is where my strength lies...in the faith of my parents and the laughter of my children.  It is really tough to keep up appearances and being in the moment, when you are missing one of your children, is a near impossibility.  But I have been reminded...and that is my task for the next few days.  Live in the now.  Enjoy the laughter when it exists.  Be kind to those around me and SEE them instead of looking through them.  I am glad for the lesson, even when the way it's presented to me is a challenge.

Everyday Invincible...and conquering my world one breath at a time.

1 comment:

  1. Reading this brought tears to my eyes and at the same time showed me just how strong you really are. I am glad you turned to your writing as creative expression is a fantastic way to open the door to healing. Anyone that reads this will certainly find some support if they are experiencing something similar to what you are going through. I am sending hugs and blessings to you and your kids.

    ReplyDelete