Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Work

I am watching Discovery Health, a show called Bipolar Mysteries, about four young children and their families and their journeys over time.
A father just said that he never believed medication was an answer but begged if there was another tool, a book to buy or a video to watch - anything- to please show him. Teach him. He said he had come to realize there is no fix; just work.
They adopted a child and found out both birth parents were bipolar which increases their daughters risk of inheriting the disease to seventy percent. I was adopted, by my father, and my mother allowed me no contact with my birth father and half siblings. Three of my half sisters are bipolar and one committed suicide. My mother wanted to protect me and hoped to spare me what could be an environmental influence, she thought. But my child has had a psychotic break and there is no protection from this. And it's true, if this is his diagnosis, that there is no real absolute fix. It is too early to tell whether or not this is an acute break or a chronic condition. They are very careful when it comes to diagnosing children.
My prayer is that he gets well. We will get through this together and do whatever is necessary. As much as I want answers and solutions, I am glad to be spared a definitive diagnosis. I BELIEVE there is a future. I BELIEVE there is hope. I will never give up.
It hurts so much to see my child in pain. I feel like I wake up with my fingers crossed, hoping that today will be a good day. Hoping he will be happy today.
Each day has to be taken as it is and we live moment by moment. It seems like he has more good days now that the medication is kicking in. But he hates knowing that he is living with these drugs, that he is not well without them. As glad as he is for the respite these medications bring him, he is confused and hurting and angry that this happened to him. I don't blame him. One day he had his future mapped out and was talking to NAVY recruiters and the next day, it seems, all of those dreams were put on hold. And at sixteen, he does not understand that this is a temporary feeling and that tomorrow is worth living for. Every good day is a day worth living for.
I wish I could talk to the families on this program. Or any family that is going thru this- and I know that if I am feeling this way that others are too.
I hope that this blog reaches one of them and that we can support each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment